And some fun facts about Amsterdam I found:
- It's estimated that during the Golden Age (put here between 1580-1670), when Dutch painters were among the best of the world, 5 million paintings were made - surely one of the most amazing Amsterdam facts. Almost every Dutch home had at least one painting.
- Amsterdam has the highest number of nationalities of any city in the world: 175 (and there are 194 internationally recognized countries in the world…)
- By some estimates, Amsterdam has more bikes than people. There are twice as many bikes as cars in the country.
- Amsterdam has no less than 165 canals and 1,281 bridges, earning the city the reputation of 'Venice of the North'. There are also 2,500 house boats (boats with a fixed place in one of the canals that are used as permanent houses).
- Amsterdam has one of the most famous Red Light Districts in the world with window prostitution. There are almost 500 such windows in Amsterdam, next to brothels etc. Daily, about 1,000 prostitutes are working in Amsterdam and in a given year, the city sees about 8,000 different prostitutes.
Dank je Lia!